Friday, April 17, 2009

Bartending. So since I didn't really have anything important to do this week, I signed up for bartending classes at ABC Bartending School. I guess learning how to bartend had always been on my list of things to do, and being laid off just gave me the time and an excuse to do it.

I figured it was either bartending or (blackjack/craps) dealer school, and I reasoned that bartending is probably a lot more useful skill anywhere outside of Las Vegas. And I figured, even after I'm back to a regular 9-5 kinda desk job, bartending would be the kinda thing that I could do on nights & weekends if I needed some extra cash.

Anyways, so the bartending class was pretty amusing. Mainly just a lot of memorizing recipes and then drilling to make them. And I guess one of the biggest disappointments was that we didn't get to try any of the drinks we were making (you'd think a bartender should know what a drink TASTES like, not just what goes into it, right?). But nope, we used food coloring water instead of actual booze- which I guess is kinda understandable: it'd get way too expensive using real booze, and everyone would be way too trashed to mix by the end of class, hahaha.

Anyways, so there was a final exam on the last day. And passing the class & getting a diploma is really not hard at ALL, but if you make an A, the teacher gives you a letter of recommendation. So I put in a decent effort studying and totally killed it. I made a 100% and was the freaking valedictorian of the bartending class, hahaha! (Not that it really matters, but it's bragging rights if nothing else, heh.)

But yea, I don't think I'm necessarily gonna be looking for employment as a bartender right away, so I guess I should start to rebuild my booze collection and practice a bit on my own- see if some of these recipes are as tasty as they sound, haha.

But yea, so I was thinking: I remember in college, it always seemed like the kids who bartended were the coolest. And maybe it's one of those things where the grass is greener on the other side, but I don't feel any cooler. Or maybe BEING a bartender is different from just KNOWING how to bartend? =/ *le sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home