Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mr. Nobody. So I dropped out of my muay thai school earlier this month cuz I just couldn't make it to class enough for it to be worth the cost. One by one, all these activities and things that I used to like, all the things I used to define myself by, seem to have fallen by the wayside.

I haven't read any good comic books or graphic novels in months (or any regular books either). I haven't trained seriously in martial arts. I haven't watched any anime series all year (I've even fallen months behind on Naruto & Bleach). I haven't seriously computer gamed since right after graduation. And I can't even eat gluttonous amounts of food like I used to anymore without my stomach hurting. And it leaves me wondering: who AM I anymore? And I mean, if you can't define a person by their likes and dislikes, what CAN you define them by?

I feel like I'm lacking a sense of identity these days. If I can't tangibly point to any one thing that I reeeaaaaally like doing these days, if I'm just kinda "meh" about everything, then what hell am I doing? What the hell is the point?? What is life without any passions?

Maybe this is what that nebulous concept of "growing up" is all about- giving up "childish" pursuits? Conforming to some "mature" but boring-as-hell ideal of what society expects us to be?? I say SCREW that! ("I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys 'R' Us kid!") There's got to be a way to age while preserving your sense of self. I dunno, part of me wants to declare war (or mutiny?) against this 9-to-5 obsessed world that's robbing me of my soul.

...But I'm not even 100% sure what that means. I mean, I've been trying to find the open road for years now. I was a chicken before, and I'm a chicken now- that much hasn't changed. Who did I think I was there for a second? What was I gonna do- start the revolution? ... ... ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home