Sunday, March 02, 2008

Fooooosball?? Foosball’s the DEVIL!” So I signed up for my company’s flag football team this season. I’ve never been much for team sports in general (I think soccer in ~5th grade was probably the last time), and I’ve never played football on a formal team before, but I figured it might be worth trying once just to see if I like it. The company subsidized the fee for our team to join a city-wide league, and it’s really more to get us ready for the Corporate Challenge (an annual city-wide company vs. company Olympics of sorts) this summer.

Anyways, so we only had one practice before our first game. The other team was a bunch of athletic young 20-somethings with uniforms and complex plays and everything, while our team was half middle-aged men in just white tees running amok. And (as half expected,) we got totally blown out- it was about 35-0 before the refs called a mercy rule end to the game. I came home pretty dejected, and my mom was like, “What did you EXPECT to happen?? Did you think you were the Mighty Ducks or something?” I thought that was pretty hilarious, heh, that a Disney movie has made its way into the cultural lexicon and my mom is citing it back to me, hah.

Anyways, so week by week, we’ve been getting steadily [less-bad]. The first week we lost by 35, the next week 28, the next week 20, and this week by 14. So if the trend continues, we’re slated to win (or at least tie) in like 2 weeks, HAH. We’re usually still pretty over-matched though- like other teams will have enough ppl to sub in & out all the time, but our team is lucky if we have enough ppl on the field at one time. So we usually end up playing the entire game (both offense and defense).

But yea, one thing I’ve learned is that I can’t catch OR throw worth crap. Well, I guess the catching isn’t quite as bad, but the throwing is abysmal. Throwing a nice spiral pass is just one of those skills that I never spent the time to learn in my youth. =/ So yea, I don’t typically play the main skill positions. On offense, I usually line up at either guard or center, and on defense I’m usually tackle/end (or linebacker). And it works out ok cuz I’m bigger than the average guy (I think I’m the only guy on the team with any sacks so far), but when the opposing team has any real lineman sized guys on their side, it’s just like >_< !

Anyways, on the whole, I guess this whole flag football things been alright I suppose. I think it’d probably be a lot more fun if we were a winning team, hah. Given a redo, I’d probably still sign up to play again. But seriously, I really gotta get this catching & throwing thing down, hah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home