Saturday, June 10, 2006

It's All Fun and Games Until Someone Loses an Eye. I had effectively quit computer gaming for over a year- the last time I'd played anything was middle of spring semester junior year. I'd gotten halfway through Vampire : The Masquerade - Bloodlines and kinda just stopped. It's an interesting storyline (and I tend to like almost anything vampire-themed anyways), but for some crazy reason, the load times were unbearable on my computer. Anyways, so then I went overseas for half a year, then was too busy my last semester of school to play. After school ended, I finally had a chance to pick up where I left off with this game. And I got to maybe the last 5% of the game, and it crashes. Every time I get to a certain part. Omg, the frustration was unbearable. I'd been waiting literally years to find out what happens, and then I get cheated out of an ending by glitchy software, BAH! The kinda feeling where you wanna smack your computer around a bit, if only that would help. Blarrrgggg.

So, reeling from the episode with the vampire game, I needed another game to satiate my computer gaming fix. I picked up Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 (KotOR2). It was alright I guess. The first one definitely had a better storyline, and in an RPG, that's kind of a big deal, ya know? This one had slightly better gameplay, but it felt like a sequel just for the sake of a sequel.

You know, I came to the realization some time ago that I'm really all about storyline in games I play. (I really like reading/hearing stories, in general.) For example, real-time strategy games like WarCraft and StarCraft, where the emphasis is obviously on the battle portion of the game, I tend to like playing single player, then cheat my way through the campaigns just to see how the story plays out. To me, the battles are just a chore you have to go through to find out what happens to the characters. Thus, I'm just NOT that interested in perfecting my techniques and skills to be very good at games for the sake of gaming. That's why on games like Diablo, I tend to choose characters like the barbarian- the brute force ones that take the least amount of skill to play, just simple point-and-click action. Never really been one for strategy I guess. I do what I mean and am never particularly sneaky about it. Fighting games too, I suppose- I'm never subtle or patient enough to think out a real gameplan. I just like to button mash and hope something cool happens. I pretty much NEVER use the block button (, which is kind of funny, cuz that's the exact opposite of how I usually fight in real life). But yea, I remember as a kid, I was usually as content to watch other kids playing videogames as I was to play myself; never the type to be like, "Let meeeeeee play!" I mean, I still got to find out what happens, and I didn't need to get my thumbs all tired and callused, heh. And I dunno, maybe all this says something about my personality- that I'm content to watch from the sidelines, that I'm not one for sneaky plans... but at the same time, maybe I'm one to dig for the truth and reasoning behind things, like to see the bigger picture. I dunno, interpret it how you will, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home