Monday, November 07, 2005

Sarah Phelps' Modern Dance for Beginners. I went and watched this play yesterday evening that was not particularly about dance, but rather about relationships... and sex. To quote the program, "It's about having what you don't want and wanting what you can't have." It had me thinking for awhile afterwards. To put the general plot into a metaphor: Let's say you like eating sandwiches, love it. Then one day, you wake up and say to yourself, what am I doing with myself? I'm __ years old and I'm still here eating sandwiches like a pauper?? So in your confusion, you decide that in order to feel high class, you shall eat escargot instead... for the rest of your life. So you stick the sandwich in the fridge and have escargot, and you think you're making the right choice, but all the while, you're thinking about that sandwich. And the escargot's not all too happy about not being enjoyed either. And eventually the sandwich in the fridge goes bad hoping & waiting for you, and is thrown out. Then a hobo digging through the dumpster can't enjoy the sandwich either, regardless of how hungry and sandwich-loving he may be, cuz it's gone bad waiting. Then one day, passionate craving overtakes you, and you spring for a pita- cuz that's kinda like a sandwich, right? But it isn't- you're just fooling yourself; and it's not really fair to the pita either, to be confused for a sandwich. Well, enough with the food analogy; I think I'm just hungry, heh. But yea, I guess the moral of the story is: if you find the sandwich of your life, stick with it- to hell with what other people think about your food choices, otherwise you'll always be thinking about that one sandwich. Anyways, it was an amusing play; quite thought-provoking... and now I'm gonna go have something to eat. =P

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelvin said...

Kia Ora (Hello) from a krazy blogger down-under in New Zealand. I for one, don't like "snails" so my sandwich will never go bad. The moral of the story is - if you find your sandwich, no matter what is in it, eat it before it goes bad !!! Great blog, I'll be back.......

11/07/2005 10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again, your posts continue to intrigue me... It seems you are enjoying your time there, which makes me quite the jealous one hehe

As for me, I've learned a lot about myself as this fall semester began; judging my perceptions on people, validating my true interests in life, courage amongst fire, and, the most important so far, having no regrets.

I believe that truly...stick to your gut instinct...if there is one person you can trust in the world, make sure its with yourself...

11/08/2005 11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting... i've never heard it explained quite that way... hope you're having a good time!

11/15/2005 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home