Monday, September 15, 2003

When you sign up for weightlifting class, you get a complimentary physical exam. One of the options for this is to get a DEXA test (Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry). This gives you a breakdown of your body composition, % body fat, and all that good stuff. It's supposed to be really accurate. So anyways, I went in and got the DEXA test done today. You lie on this platform thing while this mechanical arm thing moves over you scanning and shooting low power x-rays through your body. Takes like 5 minutes maybe.

Well anyways, the results confirmed what I thought: I am overweight. It breaks it down and gives you all the humbling details. Here's some of the more relevant stuff: my current weight is approximately 199.5 lbs. My total body fat percentage is around 23% (22 if you factor in the head). Over half of my fat is concentrated in my "trunk," and my arms are significantly leaner (normal for guys). I burn an estimated 2600 calories a day. And if I were to keep all my muscle while burning off just fat, if I wanted to get down to 15% body fat, I would only weight 183 lbs.

To put this in perspective: anything over 25% is obese, 24-20% is "overweight," 8-19% (desired) would be like 6-pack visible range, and anything less than 8% is like Ethiopian. So yea, looks like I'm closing in on that obese category. =/

*In other news, I finished up the Trigun series this past weekend. I'd describe it as like Kenshin with a gun. It's pretty good, but man, what's the deal with all these good animes having such disappointing endings? Maybe they're just way too subtle, and the brutish American intellect is incapable of picking up on the intricate hints at what really happens. Or maybe I'm just stupid, hahaha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home