Thursday, December 05, 2002

I took my judo final just a sec ago. I think they basically pass everyone, like a completion grade final. And I had the option to get a yellow belt certification for $30, but I declined. I guess I don't really approve of the belt system in general. The practice of ranking by belts is actually an American invention, or so I've been told. I mean, I guess at the beginning, it motivates you and gives you something to strive for, but after spending some time in the martial arts world, my opinions changed somewhat. Nowadays, I think of belts as a tool for oppression- belts can be used to hold you back and inhibit your learning, like, "Oh, you're not a blue belt yet, so I can't teach you _____." (So since there was no more judo learning to be done, that explains why I didn't want to pay for another belt.) And they give higher ranked students a cause to look down on those ranked lower, despite what their actual difference in talent may be. Like, it's not uncommon to see yellow belts that are "better" than green belts- people just pick up on concepts at different speeds. Belts measure accomplishment, not understanding. It's one thing to do the approximate motion of a move, and quite another to execute it properly and understand why you did it that way. But I dunno, I guess sometimes, my views on belts fluctuate cuz of just trying to "keep up with the Joneses"; like, there have been times when I don't think I deserved a belt, but at the same time, I don't think other people deserved it either- and no way in hell I'm gonna be "worse" than so-and-so. But yea, that's enough ranting about the belt system...

So yea, I think judo was a really fun class. It didn't count towards my degree or anything, but I took it more for amusement than anything else. I think the most useful thing I learned in the class was breakfalls. I mean, seriously, how often in real life are you gonna find the need to throw people around and pin 'em? But the breakfalls, if you train 'em to the point of 'em being a reaction, can save you from injury in lots of situations. We learned several throws that I didn't thoroughly understand; all in all, I think there were only about 2 throws that I'd ever actually use.

Another lasting change as a result of judo class is my tendency to say "yes sir" and "no sir" more often now. We had to say that a hell of a lot in class, and it kinda just seeps into your subconscious. Like I'll be sitting in some regular class and the professor'll ask a question (the kind no one ever answers) and I'll be on the verge of blurting out "YES SIR!" I mean, I wouldn't say I'm more respectful these days- I've just been conditioned to say that phrase at the drop of a hat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home